Scripture Reading: 1 Kings 16:8-18:15 / Acts 17:1-21 / Psalm 78:9-16
Abraham was a man of faith, David had a heart for God, and Esther was used by God to save Israel. These character descriptions and summaries were not made by man, but made by God. The Bible is filled with individuals whom God praises and exalts, but there are also those whom God condemns and rebukes…like Ahab.
Ahab completely rebelled against God and is described here in 1 Kings 16 as a man of great evil. It is said…
1. He did more evil in the eyes of the Lord than any king before him. vs.30
2. He considered it a trivial thing to commit the idolatrous sins of Jeroboam. vs.30
3. He married Jezebel. vs.31
4. He served and worshipped Baal. vs.31
5. He set up an altar and built a temple for Baal in Samaria. vs.32
6. He made an Asherah pole. vs.33
7. He did more to provoke the Lord to anger than all the kings before him. vs.33
Ahab’s heart was hard and his conscience was seared. He was more evil than any king before him and led Israel into apostasy. He married a vile and evil woman, Jezebel who introduced him to the repulsive god Baal. He served, worshipped, sacrificed and built a temple to his evil god. Ahab also made a vile Asherah pole and like none other before him, provoked the Lord to anger.
It’s hard to imagine anyone as corrupt and defiled as Ahab. His mission in life was to extinguish the name, presence and power of the One True God. Ahab was quite successful but God raised a prophet who stood against Ahab’s intimidation and power. Elijah boldly prophesied against Ahab, Jezebel, his idolatry and his gods.
Today, man hasn’t changed and neither has God…. for every Ahab, God had an Elijah and for the enemies of His Kingdom today, God has us! “Greater is He that is in you than He that is in the world!” 1 John 4:4