June 14 – God is my _________
Scripture Reading: 2 Samuel 22:1-23:7 / Acts 9:1-31 / Psalm 73:15-28
How would you fill in the blank? God is my ____________. Our answer is often conditional upon the circumstances of our lives and God’s intervention during those times. In other words, we usually define God in the context of our needs. When we are despondent, we discover He is our peace. As we call out to Him during financial crisis, we find He intervenes and supplies all our needs.
David wrote some magnificent songs, including this one here in 2 Samuel 22. As he reflects on God’s mighty deliverance from the hand of his enemies and Saul; David fills in the blank, “God is my ________”. David describes God as… “The Lord is My Rock, My Fortress, My Deliverer; My God is My Rock, in whom I take refuge, My Shield and the horn of My Salvation. He is My Stronghold, My Refuge and My Savior – from violent men you save me.” (22:2,3)
We may find it difficult to relate to the wild and intense circumstance of David’s life, but we can find relevance to the faithfulness and intervention of David’s God! We can know God as…
- Our Rock – the one who is the strength and sure foundation of our lives
- Our Fortress – the one who is the security and protection in which we rest
- Our Deliverer – the one who rescues and saves us from all our enemies
- Our Shield – the one who dismantles the power of every weapon formed against us
- Our Salvation – the one who delivers us from the power and hold of sin in our lives
- Our Stronghold – the one who wraps His arms of comfort and presence around us
- Our Refuge – the one in whom we hide and find hope
- Our Savior - the one who has overcome sin and able to transform our lives
In our lives, God is able to be all that He needs to be and He is also far greater and powerful than what we will ever experience. When we recognize God’s intervention in our lives and catch a glimpse of His infinite majesty…God gets bigger and bigger! God isn’t just a “big fish in our little pond” but He is “the big fish in the pond of eternity”. In fact it is His pond…His universe, His world! Never limit God or put Him in the finite because our God is…omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient!
Pastor James Clark has pastored Calvary Assembly since 1985. He is blessed with his wife Yvonne, six children, two son-in-laws, a beautiful granddaughter and hopefully many more grandchildren to follow!